2.06.2008

raise high the roof beams, carpenters*


We hoisted the steel beams for the second floor! (And by 'we' I mean the burly team of Nick, Don, and Chad). Earlier this week, Nick placed the four steel columns that stretch from floor to ceiling, with help from Chad and Mike. Now the beams float along the columns without touching the walls on either side.

*my favorite story by JD Salinger
On Monday Nick laid down the flooring for our airy upstairs. It is made from the same fir boards as the ceiling, called car decking. Tongue and groove car decking got its name from its original use: as the floor, or deck, of railroad cars. Once the floor was in place, I began to clean and paint each of the tall columns yesterday. It was hard, dirty, rusty work, but I was so entranced by Super Tuesday coverage on public radio that the day flew by. Today I will paint the beams, try to avoid painting the car decking, and think about how I will cast my vote in my new state's caucus this weekend.

1 comment:

Keepitmoving said...

I can't believe I know people who... like... raise steel beams. The east coast (well, me at least) is very excited for you!!! All the best-kim